Thursday, May 14, 2015

Bye Bye Pacifier - Stella

It has been a tradition (well, with the first kid anyway) that the Monday after your 2nd birthday party, we say goodbye to the pacifier.  I only think it is fair to give them through the weekend to say their final goodbyes.

We (mainly Lottie) have been telling Stella for weeks that when she turns 2 the paci is going bye bye.  Lottie has been teasing and really trying to drill it in her head that she is about to become a big girl and big girls don't use pacis.

Stella is one of those kids that if she sees a paci lying around, she wants it.  Heck, if she sees 2 pacis lying around, it is like she has hit the jackpot.  She double fists and rotates them in and out of her mouth.  If she doesn't see one and it isn't time for bed, she never gives it any thought.  Out of sight, out of mind sort of thing.

When it comes to sleeping at night though, it is the one thing she has always begged and pleaded for before the lights go out.  She jumps up and down with excitement when I give her a pacifier before bed.

With that said, I knew it wasn't going to be easy weaning Stella from her beloved paci at bed time.

Monday, May 11th
  • 8:00 p.m. - Lights out
  • She did her usual begging and pleading for a paci, but I explained that the pacis went bye bye and there were no more.  I gave her a kiss and a hug and turned the lights off.
  • For a solid 45 minutes she cried and screamed for her paci.  I went and consoled her 3 times during that time period.  The first time I went in, I wiped her tears and told her it was going to be fine and that she was doing great.  I think that might have led to more tears.  The second time I went in, I gave her an Elsa doll that she received for her birthday.  Before I knew it, she launched it across the room screaming, "I don't want Elsa!!!"  The third and final time I consoled her, she said, "Elsa please".  I picked up her Elsa doll and handed it to her and she immediately stopped crying and laid down in her crib and went to sleep.
  • During the whole cry it out - paci edition, I could hear Lottie trying to talk to Stella from her bedroom.  She was being so sweet saying things like, "It's okay Stella", "Don't cry, I promise you will be okay."  It seriously melted my heart hearing Lottie try to console her sister like that from the other room.  She must have tried consoling her for at least 15 minutes.  
  • The next morning, I praised Stella for being able to sleep with no paci.  She smiled and laughed and to be honest seemed quite proud of herself.  
Tuesday, May 12th
  • 8:00 p.m. - Lights out
  • I gave her a hug and kiss and handed her the Elsa doll and turned the lights off.
  • As soon as I stepped out of the room, I expected for the crying / hysterics to begin, but instead I heard nothing.  No crying, no whining, no begging and pleading for her paci.  It was quiet.
  • Again, the next morning I sang Stella's praises for being such a big girl and just like the morning before she boasted with pride.
Wednesday, May 13th 
  • 8:00 p.m. - Lights out
  • I gave her a hug and kiss and handed her the Elsa doll and turned the lights off.
  • She whimpered a bit, but I think it was more that she didn't want to go to bed yet vs. wanting a paci.  She never asked for her paci, only her Elsa doll.  
I think it is safe to say that we have successfully weaned Stella from her pacifier!!!!!!!!!!  While the first night was ROUGH, the second night was EASY.  I just used the same cry it out method we used when sleep training Stella and it worked like a charm.  I dreaded taking her pacifier away because I knew just how much she loved it, but you can't let fear / dread get in the way.  You just have to get it done!  I will say that I felt like it was easier weaning Stella from her pacifier vs. Lottie.  I felt like it took us a whole week to wean Lottie.  

What's next you might ask?  The dreaded potty training.....................................

Here is a quick photo of the girls and I on Mother's Day (May 10th).  It was the last day Stella enjoyed her paci!  We let her have it pretty much all day or whenever she wanted being as it was her last hurrah.


No comments:

Post a Comment