Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A Wedding Weekend in Charleston, SC

This past weekend we traveled to Charleston, SC for Kate & Allen's wedding.  I've known Kate since 2004/2005.  She went to law school w/ my BFF and after numerous trips to visit them in MA and a few trips to Charleston where she decided to settle, we've kept in touch through the years. 

One of the very first times she visited Waxhaw, my sister decided to sport a "jean" bikini.  How redneck right?  I don't think we've ever stopped talking about how ridiculous it was.  But hey, that's Waxhaw for ya!

Last Thursday, Steve, Lottie, Ashley and myself piled in the car to make the trek to Myrtle Beach to drop Lottie off for the weekend with her Aunt Amy and Uncle Anthony.  My sister has been begging me to let her keep Lottie all by herself for one weekend.  Since Charleston is only about an hour and a half from Myrtle, we decided this past weekend would be the perfect opportunity for a little Aunt / Niece bonding. 

On Friday morning, we all got up, hung out with Lottie for an hour, then headed to Charleston around 9:30 a.m.  My sister had to work a half day on Friday so Lottie hung with her Uncle Anthony for most of the day.  They went to the Garden City pier and arcade for most of the morning.  Anthony sent me the following timeline documenting their time together:


A morning workout on the elliptical machine


Followed by a golf lesson


Race car driving at the arcade


Ladies..... Start your Engine


A little snack - french fries and ketchup


Nap time!

Before checking into our hotel in Charleston, the three of us headed to Isle of Palms to enjoy a little beach time.  However, once we arrived, it was very, very cloudy!  We settled on Coconut Joes for a bite to eat to ride out the clouds and rain.  Finally, the sun broke through the clouds and we were able to get our tan on!  I even got into a beach volleyball game which made me VERY happy!


After our time on the beach, we headed to the Frances Marion to check in.  Kate and Allen had a welcome / rehearsal dinner BBQ planned at the Marina at 6:00 p.m. so we hustled to get ready for that. 

Let me just say the BBQ did not disappoint.  It was delicious!  I think I ate my weight in BBQ, mac and cheese and beans! 



Beautiful Marina




Jeanette and I


Jeanette and Steve


Adrienne, myself and Ashley


Me, the Bride to Be Kate, Jeanette and Jess


Charleston Beer Works following the BBQ


Ash & I - before we decided we needed PIZZA!

Saturday morning, I was definitely moving slower than normal!!!!!!!  I swear, after having a child, it does something to your body to where you just CAN NOT recover the following day.  We finally got the strength up to get moving so me, Steve, Reno and Ashley headed out for brunch and a day of walking around the town.

Brunch was fantastic - I had a fried green tomato topped with a crab cake and poached egg along w/ the best home fries I've ever had!  It was just what the doctor ordered.  Afterwards, we walked about a mile to the Battery.  I'm not sure what I was expecting (cool battleships maybe) but not what we got.  There was practically nothing to it.  A few cannons w/ cannon balls beside them and a few post signs with history on there.  Other than that, nothing!  Although, looking out onto the waterway, I did see a nice surprise - DOLPHINS!  They were so cute!  I tried to capture a couple of pictures, but those little rascals are fast!  :)




We also walked through the market across the street from our hotel which was really great.  At this point, I was starting to really miss Lottie.  Seeing all the kids running around the park, eating from various vendors really had me missing my baby bad!  She would have loved it there!



Wine infused candles - so neat!


After strolling through town all day, it was soon Wedding time.  The B&G got shuttle buses from the hotel to the venue for all the guests (they were real school buses!!)

Upon arrival, there was a table with fans, water and a food truck providing Vodka & Rum Slushies!  It was one of the cutest ideas I've ever seen at an outdoor wedding.  The greatest part was this was pre-ceremony drinks they were providing.  :)


The ceremony was short, sweet, perfect!  The bride wore a stunning gown, looked very vintage / antique like.  She looked like a doll!  We ate sliders, chicken pitas, crab cakes, apps, cake, etc.  It was a really great time and I'm so happy to have been a part of it. 



Adrienne, Ash, myself and Melissa


The husband and I


One More!


Reno, Jeanette and Me


Jeanette and I


Me and the Bride


The bus ride back from the reception - on to the bar!


Jim Finn - Coolest Yank I know!  He also went to law school w/ Jeanette and Kate


The D.C. Boys, David and Andy


After party


Yep, we ended the night at the Kabob shop!

We had such a great time in Charleston over the weekend.  However, going two whole days without my child almost killed me!  Not kidding - was having stomach pains on Saturday thinking about her and how much I wished she was with us!  This was only our second weekend away from her since she was born.  And by golly it is still tough to leave her! 

Although, to ask Lottie if she missed us might be a different story.  She had a ball with her Aunt Amy and Uncle Anthony.  Lottie and Amy went to the Waccatee Zoo on Saturday.  My sister said Lottie had a ball - she walked the whole time and would not let my sister hold the animal food.  She was insistent on carrying the food and making sure all the animals got fed.  Lottie adores animals!

Lottie feeding the cows


Blowing bubbles with unkempt hair!


A snack of bubbles - sounds yummy!


Well, that's all folks!  A great weekend had by all! 

Coming soon............. 18 Month Check Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment