Wednesday, March 21, 2012

TUBES ARE IN!!!!!!!!

Lottie finally had her tubes put in last Friday!  While much anxiety set in through the week, I was counting down the days for her to get relief from these ongoing ear infections this past year. 

Unfortunately Steve had to work so it was just Lottie and I.  We got to the surgery center at 6:15 to register, etc.  They placed an ankle band on Lottie with her name, DOB, etc. and gave me a wristband w/ all of her info.  It almost felt like being back in the hospital when she was born - every 5 or 10 minutes or so I was being asked to state her name, DOB and what we were there for. 

After being called back to the pre-op area, Lottie and I met with the anesthesiologist, nurses and Dr. Moss.  She was given a mini hospital gown and medication in a small tube to relax her before the surgery.  Basically it made her really, really drunk! 


Before the medication kicked in!!!!


After the meds kicked in!!!!

Lottie's surgery was scheduled for 7:30 a.m. so they took her back and I was sent to wait in the waiting area.  I was told the procedure was only going to last around 15 minutes and sure enough at 7:43 a.m., the doctor came out and said the surgery went great.  He basically went in and drained out all of the infection from the ears, then microscopically inserted the tubes in the eardrum.  He then gave me a sample of ear drops that we are supposed to put in her ears for a week (4 drops in each ear twice a day). 

After another 10 minutes or so, the nurse came and got me and I was able to go back to see my babe!  She was groggy and very, very HUNGRY!!!  Keep in mind that at this point she hadn't been able to have anything to eat or drink since midnight the night before.  I brought an 8 oz bottle of whole milk and a sippy cup of juice if needed.  I also brought her two favorite snacks.  She polished off her bottle of milk in no time.  She then ate a few puffs.  I got her dressed, was given instructions re: anesthesia after effects and we were sent on our way.  We left around 8:30 a.m.

For the remainder of the day, her gait was definitely off!!!  The girl was falling on her bum all day.  After a few hours she seemed to be doing just fine so since we had the whole day to spend together, I took her to the park.  She absolutely loved it, especially the swings!










Since the surgery, Lottie has been doing okay - she hates the drops we have to put in twice a day.  Thankfully only two more days to go! 

The biggest change I've seen in Lottie since the surgery has been her talking!  I'm guessing now that some hearing has been restored, she can hear herself more clearly and therefore loves hearing herself talk!  HA!  She has been talking non-stop!  I love it! 

1 more week until our trip to England!!!!!!!!!!!  We are so excited to visit w/ friends and family! 

No comments:

Post a Comment