Friday, October 21, 2011

Happy Birthday to World's Greatest Dad!!

Thinking of a special DAD today - my Dad!  Today is his birthday - he would have been 57 years old today.  I could go on all day about what an amazing father he was and what an incredible relationship we had.  He was the best man I've ever known. 

For those of you who don't know, my Dad was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor in 2002 (gleoblastoma).  He was given 6 months to 2 years to live after we found out.  It was terrifying for my sister and I especially since we lost my mom to Leukemia at such a young age (Amy was 11, I was 15).  After 2 surgeries, chemotherapy, radiation, Hospice, etc., we lost him on November 14, 2004.  He fought a good fight and will forever live within my heart and soul. 

If you were lucky enough to have met him while he was healthy, your first thoughts may have been, "WOW, he is as southern as they come."  You would have also saw that he could have a conversation with the wall - he was a PEOPLE person.  He was by all accounts the definition of an outdoors man.  He loved to hunt, fish, golf, play baseball/softball, coach girl's softball, camp and tan (ha!).  To sum it up, to call this guy DAD was an honor!

Each year whether it be on his birthday or date of his death, my sis and I grab a glass of vino, call eath other and talk about memories made and how much we miss him.  He was our best friend - a dad and a mom, all in one and he did a damn good job at both.  I only wish I could be as good a person as he was. 



My Dad and I after he caught Thanksgiving Dinner



My sis and I in front of the swing set my did built for us



My Mom and Dad on their wedding day - check out that tux!!!!



Typical.............  My dad can't let the kids have all the fun!



My college graduation - a year into his cancer




2 comments:

  1. beautiful post about your dad, tonya. pictures you posted are wonderful!!! love and miss you T.C. and QP.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great blog! We will always love and miss them both so much!

    ReplyDelete