Friday, September 7, 2012

The Redneck Zoo

So, do you remember a couple of weeks ago when my sister kept Lottie for the weekend while Steve and I attended a wedding in Charleston?  During that time, my sister took Lottie to Waccatee Zoo (only a few minutes from her house) and exclaimed what a great place it was and how much Lottie loved it. 

Being as I had a couple of extra days off work with the DNC in town, I stayed an extra day at my sister's house and decided to revisit this zoo my sister kept going on about. 

Let me just start by saying that I have never seen ANYTHING like this place in my life.  It was the MOST redneck zoo (not sure they should even be calling this place a zoo) Steve and I have ever seen.  Immediately when we pulled up, Steve and I looked at one another and said, "Where the heck are we?"  That was before we even got out of the car. 

The cost was $9.00 for Adults and $4.00 for kids.  For a large bag of peanuts which my sister insisted on us getting was $6.00 (mind you the peanuts were in a zip lock freezer bag). 

The only real way to describe this place is through photos.  It is RUN DOWN.  They have old plastic kid's toys that they've thrown in the cages for the animals to "play" with.  And they've got this one eyed dog they keep caged up that all the rednecks point to saying how cute he is.....He's got ONE EYE and the MANGE people!!  These poor animals are fed peanuts and hay all day - must be the worst diet ever!  And towards the end of our walk we saw an alligator, but being as it was SC and the reddest zoo ever, I'm not sure whether that gator was meant to be there or he just happened to show up. 

The best part - they've got some INBRED animals - that's right, a ZONKEY (Zebra & Donkey)





R.I.P. Bubba



Another strange inbred donkey and horse combo!  He had some major insecurites and hid his face the majority of the time.



 

Classic example - he managed to get a plastic playhouse in his cage!


Yep - that's a VERY large black bear in a VERY small cage - so sad!


The bear managed to snag a tire swing in his cage


Again, so sad to keep an animal this large in a very small area, not to mention, his neighbors are goats - how's that for a tease?



Poor Poor tiger, his neighbors were those god awful annoying monkeys!


Even the swans eat Peanuts!  Who knew?




One tired little girl could barely walk / keep her head up after a couple of hours


Last but certainly not least, the ZONKEY


That about sums up our trip to the Redneck Zoo.  The next time you are in the Garden City / Myrtle Beach area, I highly recommend you check this place out - if for nothing other than the pure shock of it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment