Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Stella - 1 Month Old

Where has the month gone?  Pretty sure I completely forgot what it was like having a newborn again.  Maybe that's why we woman get pregnant again!  I kid, I kid......  Stella has been your typical newborn - she cries, eats like a beast, sleeps here and there and fills a diaper non-stop!

Weight: 9lbs 2 oz (45%)
Height: 20.5 (21%)
Head circumference (87%)  Ha, Massive!  (Big Brain)

Stella has gained 3 whole lbs since we left the hospital.  She was born at 6lbs 12 oz and left the hospital at 6 lbs 2 oz. 

Eating: Okay, seriously, this child is a beast!!!!!!  She is literally eating me out of house and home.  I've recently started supplementing formula because I just can't keep up with the needs of this child.  A typical feeding went a little something like this - I would nurse on each side for 20 minutes, then pump for 15 minutes and once I finished pumping, I would give it all back to her.  Every time we nursed and finished, she was NEVER satisfied.  I would sometimes nurse her up to an hour at a time.  And every time, she would wail for more food after.  So, naturally I would pump and get about another half ounce (maybe) and give it right back to her.  Even then, she would sometimes not be satisfied.  I sought help from a lactation consultant outside the hospital twice because I didn't feel like I was producing enough and of course couldn't keep little one happy.  After each visit, we learned Stella was a really, really sloooooooooowwwwwwwwwww eater and I wasn't producing very much milk.  Ugghhhhhhh, so frustrating.  So, after all has been said and done, this kid is eating at least 4 to 6 oz at each feeding.  The differences between her and Lottie is dumbfounding!  Lottie didn't start taking 4 oz until she was at least 4 months old.  Whoa! 

Sleep: This kid is a little night owl.  She is eating every 3 to 4 hours, so sleep has been minimal.  By the time she starts eating, it seems like she is only sleeping about two hours in between.  And today, oh wow - she has literally had an hour nap all day.  I am hoping that means she is starting to get her days and nights finally figured out.  But at the same time, I am going to need for her to take at least two long naps each day!!  If not, I am NEVER going to get anything done.  She woke up at 3:00 a.m. last night and had me up until 5:00 a.m.  With that said, I decided to go ahead and hit up a Group Power class (5:30 a.m.) - holy jello legs..... OUCH!  For now, she is sleeping between the bassinet and rock and play.  She has such bad reflux (constantly spitting up) that I have to keep her elevated while she sleeps so she doesn't choke.  It was the same with Lottie.  These babies do NOT like laying flat on their backs.

Crying:  She is usually pretty good during the day, but between the hours of 4 and 10, she is definitely fussy!  The doctor said his kids were the same way.  I think it is just overstimulation during the day and not knowing when to give in.

Milestones:  I got my first smile (on purpose) within the last couple of days.  It felt so good to finally feel like we are really connecting and she knows her mama is working hard for her.  I think Lottie started smiling around the 6 week mark.  Hard to say, but we took her to England when she was 7 weeks old and she was smiling like crazy when we were there.   

Sibling Love: Lottie has been GREAT with Stella.  Apart from those first couple of weeks, Lottie has been really cute.  She helps me change diapers, hands me burp cloths when needed, pacifiers. the BUMBO, anything I ask for.  She loves feeling like she is helping.  She also loves stuffing a pacifier into Stella's mouth.  Stella has not come around to the idea of having a pacifier yet, so when Lottie tries stuffing it into her mouth, she gets so mad!!!  When I pick her up from school with Stella, she yells to everyone that her sister is there and she loves her.  One of my favorite things is when Steve takes her to school in the morning and before she leaves, she tells Stella and Mommy, "BYE, LOVE YOU Mommy and Stella!"  So cute, I could eat her up!

Likes: Being held, eating, riding in the car, going on walks with mommy

Dislikes: Being hungry, pacifier (I know, just shoot me now!!!)










No comments:

Post a Comment