Monday, October 8, 2012

Komen for the Cure 5K

Komen for the Cure is truly the most inspirational race in Charlotte each year in my opinion.  My BFF Jeanette and I always try to make sure we do this race each year.  A few years ago my aunt Brenda was diagnosed with breast cancer and after a mastectomy, chemo and radiation, I am so happy and relieved to say that she is a survivor.  She holds a very special place in my heart as she was my mom's bone marrow match when she had to have a bone marrow transplant years ago.  I'll never forget her generosity and strength during that time. 

This past Saturday was no different to the past Komen races.  It always brings tears to my eyes thinking of those children, husbands, parents who have lost their loved ones due to cancer.  But it is truly uplifting to see the survivors and their loved ones out running / walking and celebrating life. 

Jeanette and I usually get together the weekend before to decorate shirts for the race.  This year I picked up a couple of cheap t-shirts from Michaels and a few additional crafty things I didn't already have.  We plugged in our glue guns and went to town!!  :)

I was so pumped to do my first race with Lottie in tow!  I just picked up a new jogger stroller about a month ago and I absolutely love it.  It was so smooth! 

Now, I am by no means a "runner".  In fact, you will NEVER see me run more than a 5K!  I just don't see the point in running any further than that.  A 5K seems plenty long for me!  Plus, a 5K is all this mama can do without passing out on the pavement!  Jeanette on the other hand loves to run.  In fact, she accidentally signed up for the competitive race and ran it in 28 minutes which to this "non-runner" was great!  After her race ended, she met up with Lottie and I and ran another 5K. 


24,000 people showed up for race day!  Impressive!


DeAngelo Williams from the Carolina Panthers


Ready to go Mom!! 


She was such a good little rider - she loved it!  :)


 

Group shot after the race!



Post race!


Bow strike - ripped it out before the race even started!!!!  DANG!


Overall, we had a GREAT time!!!!  I look forward to doing it again next year with my girls!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment