Friday, October 18, 2013

The Cesspool I call Daycare!!!

Excuse the subject line of this post, but damn it's been one of those weeks!!!! 

Last Monday, I trekked all the way from downtown Charlotte to Waxhaw to Matthews to get Stella to the doctor.  The kid woke up with that oh too familiar gunk (greenish nastiness) coming out of her eye.  Oh the memories from Lottie's ever present gunk eyes - AKA ear infections. 

I just knew it was the devil I call EAR INFECTION.  Sure enough after a thorough exam, she was diagnosed with a left ear infection.  She also had symptoms of the bark like seal cough but through antibiotics I was hoping for that to clear up as well............. 

Fast forward three days and I was trekking from Charlotte to Waxhaw to Matthews to take Lottie to the doctor for her bark, seal like cough.  I haven't had to take that girl for a sick visit since she had tubes put in her ears (13 months old).  Unfortunately, we weren't able to see our regular pediatrician and had to see one of his colleagues.  She was great and upon hearing Lottie's cough determined she had CROUP!  Bugger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (English slang) 

It was determined the best way to rid croup was a 3 day dose of steroids.  Let's just say - she only ended up taking 2 doses.  I just did not feel comfortable giving her steroids.  Thankfully, it cleared up and she is fine, but those two days of steroids were awful!  She behaved badly and just wasn't herself.  I don't know how people can take them recreationally.  Idiots!!!

Okay, fast forward to this week.  My throat started feeling pretty sore on Tuesday and I thought, "oh great, a cold is coming!"  By Wednesday morning, I was dizzy, had a fever and could not swallow.  I tried my best to get to work, but I just couldn't.  I called my PCP and scheduled an appt. first thing.  I probably would have let it ride, but being sick and caring for two kids might be the absolute worst thing imaginable.  After seeing the doctor, I was diagnosed with strep throat.  Ummmmm, I have NEVER had strep throat!  Awful.  I had a high fever and the worse swollen throat imaginable.  As a remedy, I was written a prescription for 10 days of antibiotics and 3 days of steroids.  Just what I needed right??????????

Holy cow, now I know how my kids felt on steroids!  I just finished up my last dosage and while it did a heck of a job of getting the swelling to go down in my throat, it has made me feel awful!  I have been sweating like a pig, it literally has given me hot flashes and the sweats!  So gross!

Thankfully, we are all starting to feel better and back on track.  The only thing I can think of that started all this mess was the cesspool of germs that come from daycare.  I know it can be a good thing that kids are exposed to the germs sooner than later.  Their immune systems will go strong, but gosh it's hard getting the every so often phone calls and the back and forths to the doctor.   Oh the struggles of the working parents!!!!!!!!! 

Hopefully, this coming week we will be back in a routine.  Routine is key for our family! 

Okay, enough of the rant.  While I love the place my kids go to learn and grow, I hate the germs that come along with it!  Guess that's just a part of life right??????  Keep in mind I've been on steroids people.  Poor Steve is all I can say.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment