Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Fuerteventura, Canary Islands Holiday 2016

My family and I went on a much needed ALL INCLUSIVE HOLIDAY (in this country when you go on VACATION, it's called a HOLIDAY) back in October to the warmest place we could possibly find this time of year.  We did not care where we went as long as the SUN was out and we were guaranteed lots of it day in and day out. 

The Canary Islands was the perfect place to be guaranteed the sun day in and day out.  Thankfully, we weren't disappointed.  All we wanted was a place to call home for 10 days where we could eat, drink, swim, sun bathe, beach it and enjoy some much needed quality family time.  And, that is exactly what we got.  I can't even begin to tell you how much fun the four of us had.  Just thinking about it makes me yearn to go back!!!

I've had a lot of questions from back home asking where Fuerteventura is so here's a little info. describing exactly where we were:

Fuerteventura is the second largest of Spain’s Canary Islands.  It sits in the Atlantic Ocean about 60 miles off the north coast of Africa. It’s known primarily as a holiday destination due to its white-sand beaches and year-round warmth cooled by constant winds.  It lies on the same latitude as Florida and Mexico and temperatures here rarely fall below 64 °F or rise above 90 °F.  There are no fewer than 152 beaches along its coastline — 31 miles of fine, white sand and 16 miles of black volcanic shingle.  It is said that Fuerteventura is the oldest island in the Canary Islands dating back 20 million years to a volcanic eruption from the Canary hotspot.  The majority of the island was created about 5 million years ago and since then has been eroded by wind and other weather.  Sometimes, they have a sandstorm known as the Calima that blows southwestward from the Sahara Desert that can cause high temperatures, low visibility and drying air. 

With that said, prepare for photo overload as I take you through our Canary Island Holiday!!!!!  :)


We couldn't check in until 1 p.m., so we found a local spot to kill some time, have a drink and just to the side of us was a playground for the kids to play on.


After checking in and forcing the kids to have lunch just overlooking the pool, we got changed and let them swim.  It was a bit chilly that first day, but thankfully was warm every day after.  




The view from our balcony! 

 
Headed to dinner!  I bought this cute little playsuit from Primark just before we left for 6 quid!!! 

 
After dinner the first night, the nightly entertainment had face painting for the kids and a mini disco, which they were absolutely obsessed with the entire week!!!





 
On our second day of holiday, we went exploring.  We wanted to head to the marina and beach part of the area where we were staying.  The marina was gorgeous and just as luck would have it, I was fortunate enough to get a smooch from a sea lion.  Of course, my kids still hate animals so Lottie freaked out as soon as the cute little sea lion peered around the corner.  :)









 
The first beach we ventured to was nice, but nothing compared to the second beach we found on our second to last day being there. 




 
The kids especially loved the idea of all you can eat ice cream!!!



 
My girls!  Just before heading to dinner!!

 
We found a really cool lounge that served some amazing cocktails only a couple of blocks from where we were staying. 


 
We decided to take the girls to sing karaoke!!  Both of them love to sing so I had a little liquid courage beforehand to show them how it's done!!  Ha!


 
On our third day, Stella and Steve caught a bus and went to watch a local football match.  Lottie and I headed to the beach for a little one on one time and had the best day out! 

 
We had a lovely lunch overlooking the beach!


I had the most amazing artichoke, mushroom and ham pizza with a Prosecco / Sangria cocktail to die for!  It was by far my favorite beverage I had on the trip.  Cava is their local sparkling wine.  


 
A bit overkill, but we spent a lot of time at the pool!!!


 
I for one took advantage of reading up on the latest scoop!  It has been a really long time since I sat back and read a magazine!!!!  It was heavenly!!! 


 
We also played several games on BINGO - ha!!!!  Lottie loved playing.  She got so into it! 



 
I got a fish foot spa - so tickly!!!!  It was really a unique experience.  To start, a lady took me to a separate area to wash and dry my feet before putting them into the fish tank.  The gist of it is that the fish eat all of the dead skin off your feet.  For some reason they didn't really have anything to do with my right foot, only my left.  I sat for about 15 minutes letting them do their magic.  The girls loved it.  They thought it was the coolest thing ever.  Afterwards, my feet felt super smooth.  If I had to do it over again, I definitely would. 








 
Somehow we managed to get the girls to take 2 hour naps each afternoon.  It was amazing!!!!  They were so worn out from swimming that they never ever put up a fight!  It's been a long time since my girls have napped but they so needed it. 





 
We all went out to an English pub across the street a few times while we were there.  Steve of course went for the football but every night they had really great entertainment.  The girls were even asked on stage a few times to help out.  They loved it and kept saying how much they loved being on stage.  Of course, it was all clean and good fun!  The entertainment were really great with the kiddos. 

 
My BINGO partner!!!

 
This guy was the best!!!!!!  The girls were obsessed with him.


 
Mermaid tails!!



 
Stella living it up!!!








We went out to see Rock of Ages on another night.  It was basically a cover band who sang lots of glam rock 80s songs.  Super fun and such yummy drinks!!!  






 
Love my little family!!!!  So blessed!!! 





 
This might be one of my all time favorite photos of Stella.  I told her to get undressed, that we were getting ready for a bath and after walking back into the bathroom I caught her red handed multi tasking on the toilet.  These girls took all inclusive to another level.  I've heard of reading a book on the toilet, but eating ice cream on the toilet - HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This kid kills me!!! 

 
So HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!

 
Slushies - another kid pleaser!!!


The girls entertaining the crowd!!!  Stella especially loves the lime light!!!
 




Steve partaking in a game of Water Polo

 
This kid loves a hot dog!!!!! 

 
All the kiddos enjoying the mini disco!!  Y'all, they played the same songs every night in English, Spanish, German, etc.... 


We met a lovely little family on holiday that lives in Derby - Literally only 20 minutes from us!!!!  How great.  We plan to get together just after Christmas.  Their little girl Lyla and my girls really hit it off!!!  We also met a lovely family from Stoke - about an hour from us.  We ended spending our last full day all together at a really great beach.  We had a blast.  :)






















 
B-52



That about sums up our trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It was such a great experience going to a place that I really never knew existed.  I honestly have never heard so many different languages in one place.
 
I can't tell you how grateful I am for this experience and to be able to travel this great big world with the loves of my life.  I am truly one lucky girl!!! 
 
Next up - GREECE 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment