Monday, October 19, 2015

This American is Driving in England - Watch Out!!


It’s official!  This American is driving.  I’ve been on the road for a few weeks now, mostly just driving in and around our little town.  I’m slowly getting braver though and have ventured out to Loughborough, Leicester and other surrounding towns. 

I purchased a small Volkswagon Golf to knock around in.  I had the mindset of purchasing an older, smaller vehicle whilst I learn the way of the road over here.  Originally, I was going to purchase an automatic, but decided against it because when it comes to taking my driving test next year, I want to have a full license vs. just one to drive automatics only. 

Speaking of licenses…… You are able to drive on your international license for a year before you have to pass the test. 

I thought I would find it extremely difficult driving on the left side of the road, but it hasn’t been too bad.  Here is what I’ve found to be the hardest part about driving in England:

·    The roads are very narrow.  You definitely don’t have the space you do back home.  And don’t get me started on all the parked cars on the street.  It can be quite terrifying figuring out if you have enough space on the left with all the parked cars and space on the right with cars coming towards you.  More times than not, I have screamed, “Oh crap, Oh crap, Oh crap” praying I’m not going to clip a car or have a head on collision.  If there isn’t enough room for three vehicles on the road, you must stop behind the parked car and wait for the oncoming car to pass by before you can enter into their lane of travel to pass the parked car and carry on.  It can be kind of a nightmare if there is a ton of traffic and a lot of parked cars on the street.  Bottom line is that England just does not have enough space for driveways, parking as we do in the states. 

·    Driving a manual is not something I’ve done on a continuous basis.  It was more or less my cousin teaching me how to drive one when I was 15, driving my best friend Jeanette’s first car, driving my sister’s first car or Steve’s first car when he moved to the states.  With the lack of experience, I’ve surprised myself quite a bit.  I’ve only stalled out 1 or 2 times and for the most part, the ride is pretty smooth.  I will admit though, that I haven’t attempted Dumps Road.  It is the road the leads out to most places you need to go, but it absolutely terrifies me!!!!!!!!  The incline on this road is STEEP!  I usually go the longer way around to avoid this hill.  Until I feel more confident in the fact that I won’t roll back on someone, I will continue going the long way.  J

·    Motorways – I’ve yet to attempt them!  One day………

·    Round a bouts – They are everywhere.  While I do think they help traffic move along much quicker than traffic lights, figuring out which lane you need to be in seems to be the hardest thing for me.  The reason for that is because sometimes I have no idea where I’m freaking going.  If I know where I’m going, then I’m good.  It’s those places where I’m unsure that gets me in trouble.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten off the wrong exit on the roundabout and had to turn around.  Story of my life.  But I suppose that is also what helps me figure out where I’m going in the end.  Practice and making plenty of mistakes can only help right?

·    Parking – it costs money to park everywhere except for your supermarkets.  I totes had to ask a lady how to get a ticket out of the machine the other day.  She looked at me like I was nuts! 

That about sums up this stage of my driving in England.  Lottie and Stella are both on mid-term break this week, so hopefully I’ll venture out a bit more for some excursions with the girls.  Let’s just hope I get us there and back in one piece!  J



No comments:

Post a Comment