Monday, October 5, 2015

Lottie's First Day Of School!

I can't even fathom this day is here, much less this day is in England!  Eeeeekkkk!!!!  It's hard to believe at just four years old these kids start school out here.  Having said that, I also have full confidence that she is ready.  She has spent the better half of the last four and a half years in day care (school atmosphere).  She has been out of the school type atmosphere since July and has been itching to get back to playing with kids her own age versus her crazy, annoying, little sister. 

Here is my big girl on her first day at Whitwick St. John the Baptist School in England......................




I can't even handle all the adorableness in these photos.  The school uniform, the school bag, etc. just tugs at my heart strings.  








Granddad and Lottie


Grandma and Lottie


 
 
Standing outside Grandma and Granddad's house ready to walk to school.  Yep, you read that right.  I walk Lottie to school every morning.  Grandma and Granddad live right around the corner from school.  There is something so sweet and awesome about being able to just step out the door and walk your child to school.  I guess we aren't in Waxhaw anymore!


 
A double rainbow on the first day of school. 
 

Standing outside the door of her class ready to take on her first day.



 
 
Lottie after a great first week of school.

 
Unfortunately, the first weekend following her first week of school, Lottie became ill.  We went to a friend's house for a BBQ and to do our fantasy football draft when Lottie began complaining of tummy aches, fever, etc.  She was pitiful.  I thought at one point she was going to get physically ill.  She literally laid on their couch the entire time we were there.  The next day (Monday), I sent Lottie to school.  She begged and pleaded not to go, but since she didn't have a fever, I sent her anyways.  Over the next 4 days, it was pure misery trying to get Lottie up and out the door every morning to school.  She cried, didn't want to get out of bed, etc.  I couldn't tell if it was because she was really sick or if something was going on at school that made her not want to go.  It is so tough getting a straight answer out of kids this age.  In any event, I got a phone call from Lottie's teacher around noon on Thursday stating she had been sick over her dinner.  That was the final straw.  We finally got her into the doctor on Saturday.  Turns out, she had a urine infection and had one for over a week.  She was given an antibiotic and told that she should start feeling better over the next 48 hours.  She received a certificate of bravery above.  Unfortunately, the first antibiotic they prescribed didn't work.  After another rough day at school the following Monday, I took her back to the doctor to be checked out.  She received a different kind of antibiotic and thankfully it worked.  After all that, she started to get back to her old self.  Thank goodness.  I was really kicking myself for having not gotten her to the doctor sooner and also for making her go to school when clearly she wasn't feeling good.  I am also thankful that there wasn't anything going on at school.
 
Overall, since Lottie has gotten back to her old self again, she is practically kicking me out of the door each day to get to school.  She couldn't love it anymore if she tried which makes my heart smile.  Just watching her go into school on her own, chatting with new mates, eating new foods and experiencing a different culture with such grace makes this mama very proud! 

1 comment: