Thursday, November 14, 2013

2 Weeks I Wish I Could Forget

Oh the tears did flow.......................................

The past two weeks have been rough to say the least!  Not kidding, worst two weeks yet as far as the kiddos are concerned. 

The memories of Lottie and her ever present ear infections seemed so bad but so vague at the same time.  I remember having feelings of "will this ever end".  Sure enough with a bit of time, it did end and she was as healthy as any kid can be after her tubes were put in(13 Months Old).  We've only visited the doctor once for a sick visit after her procedure.

I am praying for the same result with Stella.  However by the look of things, I just don't see the light at the end of the tunnel just yet. 

Lets go back...............

In the last 11 days, I've been to the doctor 6 times with Stella.

Saturday: Pediatrician - junk in the eye, ongoing ear infection, referral to ENT
Monday: ENT - after an examination and our track record with Lottie, it was decided it be best to go ahead and put tubes in her ears.
Wednesday: 6 month well check up, ears still infected, cleared for surgery
Friday: Surgery
Saturday: Holy freak!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I ended up taking Stella to the children's urgent care due to respiratory problems, cough, trouble breathing.  In the end, she was diagnosed with bronchiolitis
Monday: Follow up with pediatrician due to respiratory problems. 

Everything just happened so fast.  The surgery (according to every doctor we've seen) went great.  The tubes went in great and all the infection was sucked out and gone!  Great news right????

Well, lo and behold on Saturday morning Stella started having a terrible cough.  She was gasping for air and although I planned to follow up with the pediatrician on Monday, I just couldn't for my sanity wait until then to follow up.  I ended up taking her to the children's urgent care in Blakeney on Saturday to get checked out.  OMG, talk about almost having a nervous break down....................  I can't tell you what a hollowing, helpless feeling it is seeing your child sick, miserable and crying. 

After a thorough exam, 3 breathing treatments and a chest x-ray (the most pitiful thing I've ever seen/been a part of in my life!!!) we were on the verge of being admitted to the hospital.  Thankfully my sister was in town (Godsend) who is a nurse and works closely with a pulmonologist / neurologist.  The urgent care doctor said that she felt comfortable allowing us to go home since she was there vs. going to the hospital.  In the end, Stella was diagnosed with bronchiolitis.  Basically, bronchitis for babies.  Somehow within the last week she developed a virus that dug deep down into her lungs causing a terrible cough and heavy wheezing.  So SCARY!

We were given a nebulizer and prescription for Albuteral.  We've been doing breathing treatments every four hours for the last few days.  It seems to help, but so hard to get her to actually take all of the vapor in.  We tried the mask which she hates and the mouthpiece.  The mouthpiece has been the go to for us.  She's also on steroids.  3ml twice a day.  Oh and ear drops, 3 drops in each ear for 3 days. 

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.  Laugh at how chaotic our lives are right now or cry because of how chaotic they are.  Thankfully Steve is his usual, normal, worry free self because I have been doing enough worrying and crying for the whole county. 

Since being back at daycare on Tuesday, she has just not been herself.  I'm pretty positive it's because she feels like poo and the steroids are making her crazy!  Baaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  I've been getting calls all week from them stating she's not taking her bottles like she normally does and just not being herself.  I want to scream!!!  I mean HELLO, what more can I do?????  Steve and I both have to work.  If we had the option of being at home with her it would be our number one priority but it just isn't an option and honestly probably the best thing for her after all the trauma she has endured is going to get back to some sort of normal routine. 

If you are reading this, please keep our little family in your thoughts and prayers.  Poor little Stella has been through the ringer!  And her mama has gone absolutely bonkers!!!  :)  I just hope she can kick this virus soon and get back to enjoying daycare and playing with her family. 

Until then we are just going to take it day by day - as I've said before, "We will get through this, it is only a phase!"

Here's a look at a few photos I took right before Stella's surgery on Friday.  I have never seen a hospital gown so itty bitty.  Thankfully the tubes are in and look beautiful.

Again, forgive me for my rant!  It's been 2 weeks I wish I could forget! 




 







No comments:

Post a Comment